(ABOVE: File photo)
Some hot deals at the local ACME…
On Tuesday, January 7, the Hoboken Fire Department responded to a report of smoke at the grocery store at 614 Clinton Street, arriving on scene during the evening rush at 5:34 p.m. Battalion Chief Mario Fini evacuated the store and engine companies deployed an 1¾” hoseline in the event of a fire.
HFD scanned the area with thermal imaging cameras, and were able to determine that a refrigeration fan in the produce section had overheated and subsequently burned. Personnel disconnected power to the fan, while further scanning confirmed that there was no extension of fire. An electrician was called to the scene to make immediate repairs.
According to Hoboken Fire Chief Brian Crimmins, HFD ventilated the building and checked for carbon monoxide. After consulting the Hoboken Health Department, the produce section remained isolated and allowed the rest of the grocery to reopen within an hour. No injuries reported, although the Hoboken Volunteer Ambulance Corps was called to the scene as a precaution.
“I thank the members of Group B for their professionalism in handling this incident quickly and effectively,” said Crimmins.