(ABOVE: Frank Sinatra with first wife Nancy Barbato Sinatra – NY Daily News Archive)
“Some day, when I’m awfully low
When the world is cold
I will feel a glow just thinking of you
And the way you look tonight…”
There was a time, not so long ago, when we’d all dress up and go out on the town…
Renowned as the birthplace of Frank Sinatra, Hoboken is equally famous for its world-class nightlife and dining. While things on that scene have been painfully quiet for the past few months due to COVID-19 concerns, business owners are doing what they can to survive these lean times—preparing to welcome their patrons/friends/guests back in a safe an responsible manner.
Recently, the City of Hoboken announced the formation of a task force—made up of prominent members of the local business community—to work cohesively towards a pragmatic plan to get our economy back up and running.
While the State of New Jersey will determine the regulations and timelines of an eventual re-opening, the City and task force will craft advisory guidelines on a local level.
The task force is co-chaired by Grace Sciancalepore, owner of Leo’s Grandevous, and Anthony Pino, owner of Anthony David’s and Bin 14, while Director Leo Pellegrini and Director Jen Gonzalez will serve as City representatives.
“We are glad to help with an economic recovery in our mile square,” said task force co-chairs Grace Sciancalepore and Anthony Pino. “As owners of small businesses, we know first-hand how challenging it has been during COVID. We want to provide our support to the City as we plan for ways to keep everyone safe when supporting the many terrific local businesses, and look forward to working with the task force members.”
Joining them on the task force will be the following representatives from a variety of industries:
- Restaurants/Hospitality: Dave Jacey (Black Bear), Mario Stretti (10th & Willow), Nick DePalma (Leo’s Grandevous), Dino Panopoulos (Dino and Harry’s)
- Retail: Donna Garban (Little City Books), Meghan Lavelle (Washington General)
- Personal Grooming/Beauty: Laurie Michelson (Hair Cult)
- Café: Tats Mori-Ryan (Bwè Kafe)
- Fitness: Jon Bevacqua (Crossfit Hoboken)
- Art: Ricardo Roig (Roig Collection)
- Technology: Preston Junger (Hoboken Hospitality Alliance)
- Special Improvement District: Stuart Koperweis, Greg Dell’Aquila (Hoboken Business Alliance)
Working together with initiatives like the Hoboken Relief Fund, our businesses are pulling together to help each other, and hopefully we’ll all be enjoying their hospitality in the very near future.
We’re looking forward to it…