NETFLIX & CHILL: “Dangerously Cold” Weekend Warrants Sloth, Lethargy
Every year we get that ONE weekend, where temps are just downright nasty. This year, it’s Valentine’s Day/President’s Day weekend.
If you’re smart, you’ve already left for your romantic sojourn to warmer climes. Spare us the beachside, toes-in-the-sand facebook pics—that’s just you being a jerk…
For those of us stuck in the icy tomb that will be the NY Metro area this weekend, bundle up. With temperatures hovering around ZERO, windchills will have us feeling “as low as 20 to 25 below“—particularly from 4PM Saturday to Noon on Sunday.
Now that you’ve seen that map, here’s what’s new on Nextflix for February. For a Valentine’s Day RomCom, you can’t go wrong with Full Metal Jacket…
Here’s the official Advisory:
… Wind Chill Advisory in effect from 4 PM Saturday to noon EST
The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a Wind Chill
Advisory… which is in effect from 4 PM Saturday to noon EST
* Locations… Metro New York City and New Jersey and Long Island.
* Hazard types… potentially dangerous windchills.
* Timing… coldest wind chills late Saturday night into early
* Wind chill… as low as 20 to 25 below due to temperatures of 5
above to 5 degrees below zero… and northwest winds 20 to 30
mph with gusts up to 45 mph.
* Impacts… the frigid conditions will be dangerous to those
venturing outside. Prolonged exposure may cause frostbite.
A Wind Chill Advisory means that very cold air and strong winds
will combine to generate low wind chills. This will result in
frost bite and lead to hypothermia if precautions are not taken.
If you must venture outdoors… make sure you wear a hat and
Dangerously cold air this weekend…
Bitterly cold temperatures will move into the area this weekend.
* Temperatures Saturday night into early Sunday morning will fall
to around zero in and around the New York City and New Jersey
Metro… Long Island… and coastal Connecticut. Temps will fall
to 5 to 10 below across interior portions of northeast New
Jersey… the lower Hudson Valley… and southern Connecticut.
Wind chill values during this time could reach life threatening
levels as cold as 20 to 30 below zero.
* High temperatures on Sunday will only be in the teens.
* Cold spells of this magnitude bring a risk of frostbite and
hypothermia for anyone who does not take proper precautions. In
addition… frozen pipes and overworked furnaces could leave your
house without heat or running water… and car batteries run the
risk of dying.
* Never venture outdoors without wearing gloves… a hat and
several layers of clothing. Wind chill values late Saturday
night into Sunday morning could lead to frostbite in less than
30 minutes if proper precautions are not taken.
* Run water at a trickle and keep Cabinet doors open to prevent
pipes from freezing.
* Never use a stove or oven to heat your home or use an open flame
to melt frozen pipes. Many house fires result from these
* Check tire pressure and your car battery. Be sure your car has
a winter safety kit that includes a blanket… warm clothes and
gloves in case your car breaks down or becomes stranded.
* Take extra steps to keep your pets warm and know their limits to